Thursday, August 04, 2005


Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Well, I have no idea what I am doing, but I'm going to try to create a blog for our family's trip to China. Hopefully it will work!

Sue, Stephanie, Sarah, Ryan and I will all be going to China. We're all very excited about it - it's been a long time and we can't wait to get our new daughter! Her real name is Yang Fu Meng. I think she is called "Meng Meng" by the people in the orphanage. We haven't fully decided what we're going to name her, but I think it's going to be Stacie MengToering (we might change the spelling of Stacie - it may be Stacy or Stacey). She lives in the Hunan province of China.

Okay, here are the plans. We're leaving on August 10 and we're returning on August 26. We first go to Beijing for 4 days or so to sight see, etc. We'll see the Great Wall of China, Tiananmen Square, the Forbidden City, and other stuff. Then we'll head to Changsha, which is the capital of the Hunan province. There we're going to pick up our new daughter! We'll be there for about 7 days. Then we head to Guangzhou, and we spend 2 nights there and get the final paperwork finished. Then finally we spend 2 nights in Hong Kong - not because it's required, but because we really want to see what Hong Kong is like.

For those of you that are interested, here's our flight schedule:

Departure:8/10 Grand Rapids/Chicago UA7577, Leaving GR 10:33 am, Arriving Chicago 10:30 am
8/10 Chicago/Beijing UA851, Leaving Chicago 12:00 noon, Arriving Beijing 2:30 pm on 8/11

Return flight:

8/26 Hong Kong/Chicago UA896, Leaving Hong Kong 12:45 pm and Arriving Chicago 2:25 pm
8/26 Chicago/Grand Rapids UA5396, Leaving Chicago 3:45 pm, Arriving Grand Rapids 5:40pm

All of the stuff above isn't that important - what's important is picking up our new daughter (I don't dare say her new name again because I don't know how we're going to spell it!). I'm attaching the only pictures we have of her right now in case you haven't already seen them. Hopefully we'll be able to post many more pictures in the coming days.

Well, I've got to go right now and see if this blog-stuff works! Look forward to hearing from many of you!

Gord, Sue, Stephanie, Sarah and Ryan

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great start!
Bill

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, and God's blessing on your family. May you have travelling mercies as well.

Regards,

Sebastian Grassi

Anonymous said...

Thanks Gord. We look forward to the updates.

JLS

Anonymous said...

Your entire family are in our thoughts and prayers.

The ECC Staff

Anonymous said...

Great idea! You and your (growing) family will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Chuck & Mary Jo

Anonymous said...

Everything looks great
Can't wait to see more pictures.
Have a great time in China. We'll keep your family in our thoughts and prayers.
The Ringquist Family
Scott, Sue Missy and Becca

Anonymous said...

We pray for safe and simple travels for your family!
Your daughter is beautiful and blessed to be a Toering!!
We will follow your adventure with great interest...
Heather and Mike

Anonymous said...

things look like they are proceeding as planned. Thanks so much for creating this site. Take care and HAVE THE TIME OF YOUR LIVES.......

Rick and family

Anonymous said...

Gord, I am so happy for you and your family! I can't wait to hear more about your trip and picking up your very special little girl.

Talk to you soon.

Kim Hart

Anonymous said...

Hi Gord,

We at Request Foods hope everything goes well for you on this life changing trip!

We will keep your family in our prayers.

Bill Rysdyk

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful and exciting addition to your family! I wish you all the best for your trip and look forward to updates.
Hans

Anonymous said...

Gord and Sue:
You can count on our prayers! And we can't wait to meet your new daughter! Stephanie, Sarah, and Ryan will be GREAT big sisters and brother, and of course you will be EXCELLENT parents! How wonderful our God is!

The Gordons

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful trip! We went to get our daughter Jan 05. Seeing the detailing of your trip brought it all back. It was a trip of a lifetime. All my best
Stacey Phillips

P.S. Love the name you have chosen!

Anonymous said...

Have a great trip! We are right behind you bringing our daughter home in September from Hunan with GW. Keep us posted! Kim and Brent

Anonymous said...

So excited for all of you! Enjoy the journey...

Anonymous said...

We are praying for you today as you begin your long-awaited journey. May God grant you peace and safety during your travels,

Jim & Karen and family

Anonymous said...

Gord, we'll be praying for you every day. I wondered how you handled that long trip to Bejing yesterday.

Doug

Anonymous said...

Hi! You don't know me, but I go to Mars Hill and have a Chinese niece. Her addition to our family and the updates and pictures throughout the trip were one of the most exciting and rewarding experiences I've had! I will be watching for more pictures and info as they come. God bless your family and your new daughter!

Anonymous said...

I just got done reading your 8/12 entry and it was wonderful to hear so many details of your trip thus far. We're so very excited for your family and Stacey. The story of the little two year old is heart wrenching isn't it? We look forward to hearing more from you and will continue to pray. Love you guys! Paul, MO, Nick, Emma

Anonymous said...

Hello! I'm Lora's mom and she shared your family's wonderful story with me. How absolutely fabulous for you all....especially your new little addition! May God bless and keep you. And, may you have a safe trip home. My prayers will be with you, Carol Wills

Anonymous said...

Gord and Sue--
Can't tell you how much you have been in my thoughts and prayers!!! I hope you and your wonderful children are embracing your experience and seeing the marvelous gift of love you are adding to your family-- P.S. LOVED your e-mail to me Gord- Way to go!!! Love,Lora

Anonymous said...

What an adventure! You are with us each day in our prayers...

The Westervelts
Lee, Ann, Jake, Jenny & Jared

Anonymous said...

Thanks for keeping us updated, Gord. I hope you can bear the humidity and heat. We think of you and pray for you often. These are exciting times, and you will need alot of time for de-briefing when you get home. "But I trust in you, O Lord; I say, you are my God. My times are in your hands..." Ps 31:14-15. "But I trust in Your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in Your salvation. I will sing to the Lord for He has been good to me." Ps 13:5-6. Thanks for this reminder to pray for the precious people of China.

Doug

Steven Curtis Chapman - When Love Takes You In