Friday, August 12, 2005

Friday, August 12 at about 10 pm (Beijing time)

We're now in Beijing! It took some figuring out by the hotel's computer department, but we now have access to the internet. Supposedly we have high speed broadband, but it doesn't seem to be that much faster than normal dial-up service.

We're all pretty tired, but I thought that I would give an update yet tonight and Gord will add in some additional stuff tomorrow along with pictures.

After a four hour delay in Chicago we arrived on Thursday evening around 6:30 pm. It was certainly a long flight but we were able to catch a couple hours of sleep. We met a family that sat in front of us who are also going to Hunan for their daughter-their second adoption from China. The mother had a lot of great advice for me. Their three year old daughter, Soo Lyn, kept Stephanie, Sarah and Ryan entertained for a large part of the trip. We will be staying at the same hotel in Hunan as them so we will see them on Monday.

The airport in Beijing was so quiet and we went through customs very quickly. Our guide Ike met us and our shuttle driver swiftly delivered us to our hotel. During the five minute trip I saw bikes, cars and people all traveling the same road. It didn't seem like traffic rules apply here. Because it was getting dark the whole experience seemed sureal. I felt as though I was in the middle of a dream. Not many people were smiling--I had felt a sense on saddness here--just a different feeling than what I feel back at home. The dense fog and heavy humidity and heat was one that I will never forget. The pace seemed so fast and I was on slow motion at that point. Right after checking into our hotel we went with our guide to buy bottled water and some coke. We have to use bottled water to brush our teeth--otherwise we could get pretty sick. Gord, Ryan and Sarah went swimming and had a great time. It is an indoor-outdoor pool and Ryan claims that it's the best one yet.

Our hotel is very nice. It just hits me hard when it is a four star hotel and just down the street is what we would consider poverty. I feel somewhat guilty walking onto this beautiful area, where security is evident, when I know that others are barely getting by. I feel like we live in a castle at home in Jenison.

Today, after a wonderful "western" breakfast we went shopping downtown Beijing. We took the shuttle and then walked to the Silk Market place. It was really odd being stared at by so many people. I think Gord's 6'7" height along with having three children with us made us stand out. The silk market place is one huge adventure. Everyone had little shops that were about 8' x 8'. They wanted us to buy their goods. They would say things to try to get us to look at their products. Like "You open my business--first one--I give good deal to you--nice family--you like?--final price--we be friends--I give to you--no one else--" You get the picture. Well we walked out of there with Purses, wallets, belts, and a lot of fun dealing for hardly any money. But they did really wear us down. If you go to China--don't pay what they ask you to pay. I got a great leather purse and small leather clutch bag for only 25.00 when they originally wanted around $100.00. Gord's negotiating skills came in very handy--he did far better than I did. I
guess he has had a lot more practice than I have.

Then it was off to the Marketplace. On the way it was so sad to see a little two year old child begging for money while her parent was near by. It seemed so unfair. It nearly broke my heart.

We also walked to another marketplace where many of the locals get their goods. Another facinating adventure. This time Stephanie even got in on bargaining. While Sarah and I were in McDonalds outside, three different people wanted pictures of Gord, Stephanie and Ryan--I guess it is because they don't see many people with American children. We were told to expect the picture taking-- but is still seems odd. Next time we go out we will bring stickers and lifesavers that we brought along for the kids to hand out to other children. We thought it would be a nice gesture of friendship.

We finally found a taxi that would take all five of us back to the hotel. We were so tired of walking and figured we had walked around five miles to go to the shopping areas. We made it back to our hotel and ate granola bars for dinner. Gord and Ryan went swimming, and now everyone is sleeping except for me.

Gord will fill you in on any details tomorrow that I missed since I am getting sleepy too. By the way, you will never guess what we had for lunch--McDonalds. They are everywhere! Where else can five people eat value meals in China for under $12.00 total? It is amazing to see how China is becoming so "western".

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well we're glad to see you made ok. Sounds like you are having a good time so far. Appreciate your keeping us posted " very exciting". HAVE FUN-BE CAREFUL- AND GOD BLESS.

THE RINGQUISTS

Anonymous said...

Wow!! It is so exciting! Can you believe you are so close to holding your daughter??? I am filled with joy for you....I am thinking of you so often!! God bless all of you...stay safe!!
Heather and Mike

Anonymous said...

Wow - I can't wait to follow in your footsteps! What a great experience for all of you. Enjoy! Kim

Anonymous said...

Good to hear things are going well for you all may God Bless you in this time. This a great website and it is nice to hear all things you are experiencing.I'm sure you can't wait to get your girl.
The Schuller's

Anonymous said...

Hey! Steph i have so much to tell you about my DANCE! LoL! I'm so glad that you guys got there safely! I can't wait to see your NEW sister! She's adorable of what i've seen and i'm sure she'll be even cuter with only 1 layer of clothing! lOl! I can't wait to see you again and i hope you have a safe trip! I'll be praying for you guys!
Love,
Kelsey Prins

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your great adventure with us. We are all so excited for you. You are in our thoughts and prayers. Looking forward to your next update.
God Bless.
Lisa, Al & Kids

Anonymous said...

Read the comments. The same...Praying for you all!!Shopping at the silk market! Way cool!

THE ECKLESDAFERS

Steven Curtis Chapman - When Love Takes You In