Tuesday, October 30, 2007

I am cracking up laughing!

This language barrier is sometimes very difficult and sometimes so very funny. Actually, I think I am getting pretty good at charades. : ) I can't imagine how terribly frustrating it is for Eli to communicate with me. In China I was frustrated when I was shopping and tried to explain that I wanted to buy some tea. I can't even to begin to understand his frustration in trying to learn what I am saying to him. There are, however, some pretty cool times when we both "get it".

Just now as I was trying to tell Eli that I wanted to pick him up in Chinese he smiled and put out his arms! Great, I thought, he understood me and so I thought I would try another couple of phrases in Chinese. Well...I must have really butchered up some phrase because he looked at me with this really confused look and wrinkled up his eyebrows like I was really nuts. He said something back to me in Chinese and then I looked at him with a puzzled look. Then I just laughed and he laughed so hard with me. He must think that this American mommy is crazy. Oh, well, I will continue to try to speak some Chinese with him. When he is happy he hums and sings in Chinese. I so wish I knew what he was saying (singing). He also will speak to me in Chinese when he is mad at me (like I really understand?). When I think of it, he speaks in Chinese most of the day.

We are in the process of finding a speech thearpist who speaks Chinese to work with his language development because of his cleft lip and cleft palate. (I know, I probably spelled the word palate wrong--I keep forgetting how to spell it.)

Our appointment with the plastic surgeon went very well yesterday. He doesn't need any surgeries for a couple of years! Then we are looking in the future at jaw surgery, bone grafting, lip repair, orthodontics, and perhaps a couple of more procedures that I forgot about. But...we knew all of this when we fell in love with him. I am so very thankful that we are blessed with the medical community that we have. (I just wish ortho was covered by our insurance but oh well.) The surgeon said that his repair looked really good so I am thankful that his surgery was successful in China. I can't imagine what he went through without having a mommy or daddy in the hospital with him. His second surgery was in February 2006. There is a wonderful organization that I came across who donated the money for him to have his operations. That is a story in itself!

Since you are wondering...I'll tell you what happened about two months ago. I was surfing the internet about Yixing..the area where he is from..and I came across his Chinese name in the google search. I clicked on the link and was suddenly in shock. There before my eyes was his before picture as a baby and a picture of him after his first surgery! God was so gracious to reveal to me not only a baby picture of my son but the name of the organization who provided the means for his surgery as well. I spoke with the head of the organization and he indicated to me that he helps around 50 children each year from China with hopes that these children will someday be adopted! This was an amazing connection and I am grateful that I have a piece of Yi Lai's history. As I write his lifebook this information will be very helpful for him as he gets older.

All I did was to google in Yi Lai and Yixing together and you should be able to see this for yourself. Pretty amazing huh?

Well, I'm off to get the two kiddos to sleep for a nap. (Which is no small task. They have me outnumbered. : ) )

2 comments:

Two Blue Rooms said...

I am so happy that you were able to find those pictures of Zachary Eli - what a special treasure!
All our best,
Kimberlyn, John, & Evan

Molly said...

I'm glad we're not the only ones doing a crazy charades game. We also do a lot of holding something up and nodding yes or no.

Molly, Chris,
Nick, Lainey, and Lili

Steven Curtis Chapman - When Love Takes You In